What is incontinence?
Incontinence Center at SeekWellness
Welcome to our urinary incontinence center where you can learn about the types, causes and symptoms of urinary incontinence and about ways to treat and manage your situation.
We describe urinary incontinence products, pants, pads and other incontinence supplies for men and women so you can feel more knowledgable before you purchase from us or elsewhere.
You might also want to walk through our Underwear Buying Guide if you need help with your decision.
- Do you leak urine when you cough, sneeze, laugh or exercise?
- Do you leak urine on the way to the bathroom?
- Do you have intense and sudden bladder urges you cannot control?
- Do you find yourself going to the bathroom often, more than 8 times in a day?
- Do you wake up more than two times at night to go to the bathroom?
- Do you need to know the locations of bathrooms when you travel or go shopping?
- Are you afraid that you will leak urine during sex?
If you answered yes to any of these questions then you have a problem with your bladder called urinary incontinence.
Many have the related condition of “overactive bladder or OAB which is when you have urgency, a sudden need to urinate right away and frequency, going to the bathroom more than 8 times a day. It is estimated to afflict more than 33 million Americans. More than two thirds of the persons with these conditions are women. The total annual cost of providing care for persons with urinary incontinence is estimated to be $28 billion.
The inability to control urine is one of the most unpleasant and distressing problems from which a person can suffer, often causing isolation, depression and physiological problems. It can also cause medical problems like skin breakdown and UTIs. In addition to the patient, UI with OAB are burdens for family caregivers and the community, and the major reason aging parents are put into nursing homes.
Last updated April 2016