LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2006, 01:51 PM
User

I go to the bathroom more than 8 times a day....do I have OA
I go to the bathroom more than 8 times a day....do I have OAB
Old 03-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Diane Newman

Answer
You may but is is 9 or 10 or 11 or more times? You need to learn more about OAB and speak with your doctor. OAB or overactive bladder is when you experience symptoms of urgency – a sudden and strong desire to go to the bathroom, frequency – going to the bathroom more than 8 times in a day, nocturia which is awakening up at night to urinate or wet the bed while asleep. Many people also experience day and nighttime urinary incontinence which is urine leakage on the why to the bathroom, after sudden urgency or when you cough, laugh or sneeze or exercise. I suggest you learn about behavioral treatment programs which include pelvic muscle exercises as well as bladder training for urgency and frequency. Pelvic muscle exercises strengthen muscles that support the bladder and the urethra. These exercises have been shown to decrease urinary leakage. Bladder retraining is controlling urgency using strategies that can help relax the bladder and delay voiding. I would also suggest dietary modifications. There are certain foods and beverages that contain ingredients that can cause bladder irritability. I list these on my website and they include any foods and drinks that contain caffeine such as coffee, tea, chocolate, soft drinks. Also we find that spicy foods, citrus foods, juices and tomato based products may also trigger urinary urgency/frequency and incontinence. There are also many medications that can also help these symptoms. They include a skin patch called Oxytrol, and 5 pills called Detrol LA, Ditropan XL, Sanctura, Vesicare and Enablex. You may be interested in books that can be good resources. The first book is called Managing & Treating Urinary Incontinence. This is a nice review of evaluation, treatment and management of urinary incontinence. It has a chapter on treatments for persons with your symptoms. The second book is Overcoming Overactive Bladder which also has a great deal of information. You can obtain these books from the website or on Amazon.com by putting in these term “urinary incontinence” and overactive bladder.