SeekWellness Forums
Advertisement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 AM

wombats is on a distinguished road
Losing Weight While Taking Androgel
I am a 41 year old male, and am getting a bit frustrated.

I am overweight, and had gained some signficant weight over the past 16 months mostly on my belly. The doctor was concerned, and I knew I needed to lose weight again, and he tested a number of levels. The only thing that came back was low testostersone.....

In doing some reading, I am getting more and more confused. I saw the test result myself. It said the range should be between 25 - 80, and I had 14. Now I am reading different measurement material as I have yet to see anything that comes back with these types of numbers.

As well since January I have been trying to lose weight, but since I started taking the Androgel I stopped losing weight. I have changed my diet significantly and am taking about 2000 calories a day top end, but the weight is level. Now the doctor did warn me that taking the testostersone would convert fat to muscle, and muscle weighs more.

So how do I measure things? How do I get that good feeling about the hard work I am doing to lose the weight. I battle with depression and take medication for that. That being said, you work hard to better yourself, and see no results, it frustrates, you and its just a vicious circle.

I have noticed a slight increase in energy, but still feel tired a lot of the time, and do fight to keep my eyes awake daily.

Any suggestions, any help. There are so many books and so much to read, but if someone, anyone can help point me to the right direction that would help me out that would be great.

BTW, I was reluctant to have all the blood work done before I started to lose weight, but the doctor said if we found something, either diabities (nope dont have that) thyroid (nope that seems to be working) or low testosterone (yessiree bob thats what I have!!) we could fix it and ultimately it would help me lose weight.....so apparently this is good news....but it sure doesn't feel good.

Thanks to anyone who can help me in anyway....
Old 07-19-2010, 11:29 PM

ralph is on a distinguished road
I recently have been studying andropause as I feel that I am going through this stage. Some of the sources say that andropause starts in between the ages of 40-55 and unlike menopause, this does not end unless it gets medical attention. I hope people can come up with more studies and medications for this condition soon. Im seeing my doctor this weekend. Have you consulted yours?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:58 AM

seek123 is on a distinguished road
There are a number of ways to reduce body weight and regain the balance. Taking medicines is only one of them and not a very healthy one at it. Did you try exercising? Like going for a half an hour walks every morning, if you have the time to spare. It will also keep you fresh and energetic throughout the day. And what about yoga? I am not very sure here, but I know a couple of my friends have succeeded in losing weight by practicing yoga.

Last edited by seek123; 01-18-2011 at 11:18 PM..
Old 02-11-2011, 04:53 AM

neotylerb is on a distinguished road
Re
if you get over weight, then stop taking Androgel. consult with your doctor, if you are diabetes patient, you may can have metformin, it help to lose weight for diabetes patients, but before that consult with your doctor.
Thanks.

Last edited by neotylerb; 02-11-2011 at 02:57 PM..
Old 04-08-2011, 05:46 AM

ercfstmn is on a distinguished road
Eating fruits and vegetables is one of the effective ways of reducing weight. Most especially if it is associated with daily exercise.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:15 PM

ageddes is on a distinguished road
I suggest not dieting...
I'm 42 and have been through all of the different diets, pills, ect. and I exercise moderately. But I found my appetite was still not lower, and so I did some research on Amazon (you can read reviews there) and finally found a book by Michael A. Snyder called, Full: A Life Without Dieting. What peaked my interest is that this book practical, does not promote dieting, but rather helps you adjust your lifestyle to eat healthier and stay full longer. I've just put it on order and can't wait to receive it!
Old 06-22-2011, 12:47 PM

Wanderir is on a distinguished road
Going on testosterone therapy will change your fat to muscle ratio a bit, in the course of a year without doing anything but taking testosterone, you'll get about a pound more muscle, it's not dramatic. This is what my research says.

I'd talk to your doctor about cutting out carbs, try a slow carb diet like the 4 hour body or south beach.

Conventional wisdom says that a calorie is a calorie and that if you want to loose weight, then you have have to use up more calories than you take in. Which make perfect sense in a logical sort of way. It's something I've always believed. Until recently.

Check out two books, the 4 hour body and Good calories, Bad calories for what I think is really going on. Its not about caloric intake its about the type of calories not the quantity.

Low Testosterone can be affected by any number of hormonal imbalances and being overweight helps to throw of your hormones.

Also, a great book on Low T, is Testosterone For Life